One of the main goals of the DOR is to provide a safe and confortable place for students to live. However, each of us must be aware of the role that we play in keeping ourselves and our environment secure. Regardless of the number of precautions in place, you are only as safe as you are smart! Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you explore your new community:
- Become familiar with the polices and guidelines related to residence hall / on-campus apartment living by reading the Policy Handbook for your area.
- Learn and remember important emergency numbers:
- Department of Public Safety = 515-294-4428
- Thielen Student Health Center = 515-294-5801
- Your Hall Desk or Apartment Office
- Your CA
- Keep your ISUCard with you at all times.
- Maintain control of the keys and accesss card you have been issued for your building and room.
- Never loan out your keys or access card.
- Immediately report lost or stolen keys / access cards.
- Keep your room door locked at all times.
- Don't prop open doors to your building. If you find a propped door, unprop the door and report any malfunctioning doors to staff.
- When entering your building, don't hold the door open for the people behind you. This is called tailgating and is the #1 way that non-residents enter the residence halls.
- Be aware of your surroundings and who lives in your building. Report anything or anyone unusual or that makes you uncomfortable.