Charles F. Frederiksen Leadership Award
The Charles F. Frederiksen Leadership Award has been established to recognize an Iowa State University student residing in university housing who has served in a leadership role and demonstrated outstanding service to the university community. Recipients are selected on the basis of contributions to on-campus student leadership, involvement in building community within university-owned housing, personal leadership ability, and scholarship.
- Nominees for the award must meet the following criteria:
- Currently live in the residence halls or university student apartments
- Be in good academic standing and have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher
- Must hold or have held an office at the house or university apartment council level during the year in which the award is received
- Will be living in the residence halls or university apartments the following year
The award honors Charles (Chuck) Frederiksen, who began his association with the ISU Department of Residence when he moved into Friley as a freshman in 1949. For nearly 50 years, Chuck had a distinguished career in the college and university housing profession. He became the Director of Residence in 1967 and retired in 1996. During his tenure at Iowa State, Chuck actively participated in the implementation, support, and nurturance of the house system. The system is one of his lasting contributions to students and student development. The emphasis of the award is on leadership at the grassroots level.
Applications for this scholarship should be submitted through the Vice President for Student Affairs awards website.