Stanton House

Friley Hall

Floor Plans

Rooms 2274-2279
Rooms 2280-2286
Rooms 2288-2294
Rooms 2295-2299

House Details

Floor #: 2
Gender: Male
Capacity: 40
Room #s: 2274-2299
A/C: Yes
Bed Type: Unlofted, metal frame
Floor Type: Tile
Room Types: Single, Double, Triple
Room Size:
Window Size: Sm. 22.5" x 52", Lg. 45.5" x 52", XLg. 70" x 52"
Ceiling Height: Between 8'2" and 8'8"

House History

STANTON, Edgar W. (1850-1920) received the first diploma awarded at Iowa State in 1872. He served his school with selfless dedication from his graduation until his death. Initially, he conducted all of the mathematics courses at Iowa State. He was made head of the mathematics department in 1876, he was secretary of the College Board of Trustees 1874-1909, acting dean of sciences 1910-1913 and dean of the Junior College from 1903 to 1920. He was acting president for the organization of the Iowa State Alumni Association in 1878. The famed Iowa State Campanile had its beginning with 10 bells which Stanton donated in 1899 in memory of his first wife, Margaret. After his death, the carillon of the campanile was renamed the Edgar and Margaret McDonald Stanton Memorial Carillon. Stanton was a shortstop in Iowa State's first baseball team and always gave his enthusiastic and constructive support to athletics.