Every student is capable of leadership...
Leadership is a process that involves working with others to create positive change...
Leadership is grounded in shared values...
The future depends on your leadership.
The on-campus environment is a perfect place for students to practice community-based leadership, and learn the qualities necessary to be a citizen leader. The Department of Residence is committed to helping students learn about leadership, and their potential.
The Department of Residence strives to:
- Educate students on the importance of leadership in their own lives
- Help students develop confidence in their own abilities and skills in working with others
- Assist students in developing self awareness
- Help students understand their roles as citizen leaders
So that students will:
- Feel empowered to make significant changes in their own lives and their own communities
- Strive to make a difference in their communities, at Iowa State University, and in the world.
- Enhance skills needed to be successful in future endeavors and live harmoniously in community.
- Form lasting connections and friendships while learing to best utilize their resources.
A Community is something that emerges when a group of people:
- Participate in common practices
- Depend upon one another
- Make decisions together
- Identify themselves as part of something larger
- Commit themselves to their own, one another's and the group's well-being
In ideal communities:
- Everyone has a voice and a sense of efficacy; dialogue between community members is important and respect for others opinions is essential
- Visions and decisions are made collectively
- Elected officials listen to and act on advice from constituents.
- Leadership means action, and issues can be addressed by anyone
- The community grows through proactiveness
- Work to stay informed of current issues and events, and think critically about how their communities are affected by them
- Have a heightened self-awareness; they use their values as a guide to their decisions, and their strengths and limitations as a guide for their actions
- Have an increased awareness of diversity and understand and appreciate the differences that surround them
- Understand that they cannot act alone, and strive to build teams and groups that will help them take action
- Are able to create visions and set goals for themselves and their communities
- Work hard to communicate effectively. Their passion is expressed with clarity, conviction, and civility. They understand the importance of listening as well as expressing their thoughts
- Believe in their fundamental responsibility to contribute to the well-being of others and the common good of society.